Monday, September 22, 2008

Bernini at the Getty


On Sunday I had the pleasure of visiting the Getty Museum for the first time ever. Sadly, my camera was left in my car, so I will have to go back and take pictures of the amazing Bernini exhibit I viewed before it's gone.

Once I heard about the Bernini exhibit, I immediately called my friend Nick (a former employee of the Getty) and demanded he take me to see it.. and to get us free parking.

The exhibit was amazing. Bernini is my favorite sculptor, and to see his work up close was quite an experience. The majority of the pieces displayed were busts done on commission, as well as several portrait paintings. However, the most surprising treat were a series of sketched portraits done with simply black, white and red chalk. Unbelieveable.

I need to go back and see several of the other exhibits as well, and also wander around the gardens. I won't forget my camera next time.

No comments: