Monday, July 21, 2008

That's showbiz, kid

Work-wise, I have been trying to get my foot in the door of the entertainment industry. Between the writer's strike and the forboding talk of an actor's strike, I really picked a heck of a year to get into "the biz". Still, this is a path I am determined to travel. Since being out here in California, I have developed an interest in production, development, and more of the business side of entertainment. This not only encompasses animation, but feature and television as well.

Getting that first foot in the door has been tricky. So far, I have been working as an intern for a production company in Los Angeles. The project is a documentary on Marvel Comics' Stan Lee, so the subject matter has been really fun for me. In my short time there, I have learned much about the industry, but I'm still trying to find a specific direction in which to move forward. Tomorrow I start a temporary gig as a Production Assistant for a television talk show. There are a lot of PA opportunities around the city which are great for both experience and networking.

In short, I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.. You'd think I'd have it figured out by now.

6 comments:

M. Dinardi said...

Good to see you are still out there pounding away.
It is a hard business to get by in, but with perseverance and hard work you will find your niche.
You may be very good at the production side. Enjoy what ever is thrown your way!
Margot

Rose said...

On the way home from work I was listening to Coast to Coast on the radio, the guest was Harry shearer.
http://www.harryshearer.com/

DId you forget you wanted to do voice overs?
For xmas ask for a workshop with Nancy Cartwright
http://www.weistbarronhillacting.com/voice-over-workshop/

Just wondering.
Margot

Scoob said...

I'm excited for you Crystal! You're gonna be fantastic at whatever you put your efforts into! :)

Crystal said...

Thanks you guys. :D So far, the couple times I have gotten to be a Production Assistant were really fun. It's a great opportunitie to get your hands into all aspects of production, from pre to post. With the last job, I got to play with some television cameras and work the teleprompter during taping. Learning is fun. :D

Oh, and I am looking into that voice-over workshop.

Rose said...

I trained on cameras at KGUN9, it was pretty easy. Hard part was cueing the anchors. I can see you being a good PA. You are organized and pro active. Glad you are still thinking of voice overs. Lot's of opportunities in LA. Can always work on a short in your "spare" time!
M

DP said...

Good Luck, it's not any easier the longer you stay in the business, but it's nice to see other people on the way.